Travel training for young people
Learn to travel between home and school or college safely and independently on public transport.
Travel training enables young people with learning and other disabilities to travel between home and school or college safely and independently using public transport. We provide travel training in the Borough of Hounslow.
How will it help?
- Feel confident travelling from home to school or college on public transport
- Learn about road safety
- Learn when and how to safely ask for help
- Practice solving problems that you might face on public transport
- Develop an important life skill ready for life as an adult
How does it work?
- We work with your family to create a detailed plan.
- You work one-to-one with a travel trainer.
- It’s a fun and exciting way to learn important skills to keep you safe when travelling alone.
- You learn your route from home to school or college. You are accompanied by a travel trainer until you are confident with making the journey on your own. The time this takes varies from person to person.
- We update your family on your progress throughout your training as required.
- We follow up with all our students once they are independent to ensure they are staying safe on their journey.
Over the past 5 years we have successfully trained over 250 young people to become independent travellers in Ealing, Hounslow, Hillingdon and Slough. We believe this is a service that should be available to all young people with special educational needs.
If no travel training is provided in your borough and you feel your child would benefit, please get in touch.
Get in touch
Get in touch with us about Travel Training
Call: 020 8566 9575, or
Need to know
Who can get travel training?
Young people with SEND, aged 11-25 living in Hounslow
How to get referred
Contact Hounslow School Travel Assistance Service
Find out more
Call: 020 8566 9575